I have no idea where this recipe came from, just a little magazine clipping in the pile, but it has become a family favorite. I also borrowed this picture from google images to show that these or ANY cheese ball can be made what you want by just changing what you decorate the outside in and/or making them bite size by just adjusting how much you roll into each ball. We prefer them "bite" sized.
BACON CHEDDAR CHEESE BALLS
1 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
8 ounce package Philadelphia cream cheese
1/4 cup apricot pineapple preserves
2 ounce jar pimentos, drained, rinsed and dried (optional)
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce*
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
Additional toppings as desired - crushed nuts, chives, carrot pieces, pickle pieces, etc...
- In a very large bowl combine the cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Add the preserves, milk, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and half the bacon.
- Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Roll mixture into desired number of balls.
- Roll each ball in desir4ed topping.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Serve with crackers, celery sticks, toast points, etc...
*Frank's Red chile pepper sauce makes an awesome substitution.
Submitted to Tailgating time & Magazine Mondays.