I've decided to join Ivonne at Cream Puffs in Venice who hosts Magazine Mondays in an effort to clean out my pile of 'to do' recipes from my magazines and cookbooklets. This recipe was so good. We'll be making this again.
from fine cooking Appetizers 2009
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup minced yellow onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
fresh ground pepper to taste
3 cups grated Swiss cheese
2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Gruyere
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
1 12 ounce beer, preferably Budweiser (I used Dos Equis)
3 tablespoons Amontillado sherry
Dipping items - crusty bread, apples, sausages, etc...
- Melt the butter in a fondue pot or heavy sauce pan.
- Add onion and garlic, stirring until it carmelizes.
- Add the caraway seeds and stir to brown them.
- Add the beer, increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer to mellow the flavor, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl toss the cheeses with the cornstarch, mustard and pepper.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture, a handful at a time, stirring each batch until smooth and all cheese is incorporated.
- Stir in sherry and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Keep warm over a low flame.
Magazine Mondays are hosted by Ivonne at Cream Puffs in Venice